Thursday 27 August 2009

Whitney Houston - New ALbum - I Look To You

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Released 19/10/2009

When I heard about this new album being released, I looked forward to the new tracks from my favourite singer from the 80s and 90s. She looked absolutely radiant on the cover of the album. However, upon first listen, I was truly shocked!
What happened to the silky smooth yet so powerful and soulful vocals which she was so well known for??
I have never heard an artiste deteriorate so much in such a short time ... just compare this title track from her latest album:



to her 1998 album, My Love Is your Love...



it sounds like she has aged 40 years since that album!

While the songs in the latest album sounded well crafted and contemporary, they are simply not the Whitney we know from the past.
Even this big ballad, I didn't know my own strength, penned by the legendary Diane Warren, was poorly executed.



She now clearly struggles to hit the high notes, resulting the song being sung in no more than two octaves, which is a huge departure from the days when she had a five octave range.

So, is this the end of the Whitney we know from the past? Somehow, I feel it is going to be almost impossible to recover from her vocal deterioration, especially as she is also advancing in years. Let's hope I am wrong.

2 comments:

backStreetGluttons said...

Thats bad , like the MJ guy !

Bobby has done her in omg. She simply looks sad. In this case love has destroyed her or issit ah ?

terri@adailyobsession said...

you r spot on. she's so lifeless now, can see it in her eyes. so sad. i hope she really recovers.