Monday 10 August 2009

Hawker centre, ss2 PJ.

My last visit to Malaysia may have only been 9 months ago, but still long enough for me to miss the food here, especially the hawker fare. So, on one of the first nights of this trip, I paid a visit to the hawker centre in SS2, also known as Wai Sik Kai (greedy street). Could not decide what to eat, so ordered a bit of everything ... well, more than just a "bit". But as it was cheap and the value of the sterling had appreciated against the ringgit over the last few months, I thought I'd indulge in this little feast pictured below.

I have no idea as to the name of the stalls we bought from, so as a guide, the first picture here is a grill fish (ikan bakar) vendor. All the food was bought at or around his stall.



This sambal fried pea in pods (or directly translated from Chinese, four angled peas ) were average, from the said grill fish stall. The sauce lacked sweetness and the peas were not crunchy fresh. But as he made this as a special request ( these peas are normally only used as a side garnish ), he is excused!


This char siu in Chicken Rice was also average. Char siu tasted very generic, but can't really expect too much for rm4!


Kam Heong lala from a neighbouring grill fish seller was quite good. You can always tell where was not enough of it to go round!


Pineapple fried rice from the thai food stall was also ok only! A bit too sweet and soggy, but I am happy with the amount of ingredients in it, especially the large prawns.


Prawn noodles were the best! IT was as good as any I have ever tasted and I look forward to having this again when I get the chance to go there again.


Razor clams in belacan from the same grill fish seller has a lovely tasting spicy sauce, but somehow, I felt there were more shells than actual meat!


This wat tan hor is not even worth mentioning! Rather below average.


After the meal we had a walk around the pasar malam and had some cempedak goreng ( jackfruit fritter) from this fella!


Overall a very satisfying evening's dining!

4 comments:

ling239 said...

next time do try the oh-jian a.k.a. oyster omelette, it is pretty good! ^_^

Anonymous said...

PJtoFallowfieldManchester said:
I second that.. the oh-jian there is good.
If you want the best prawn noodles. Go to PJ new town at lunchtime. You will find the crowd.

Hazza said...

ling,
ochien should be in one of my next blogs ;-)

anon,
I will remember about the prawn noodles next time I am near State. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks