Monday 15 June 2009

Thai Tom Yam Baked Fish

This dish was inspired by a dish I had from a food court in one of the many malls in KL when I visited last year. I am sure most of the Malaysians reading this have come across Thai food stalls selling set meals like ikan Bawal & lala with rice, sotong and udang with rice ....etc. I had the bawal version and sussed out how it was made from the strong taste of Tom Yam in the dish.

So, I started with the fish, seasoned with salt, sugar and ginger, and separately, chopped lemon grass, onions, ginger and garlic, and some Tom Yam paste.


Firstly, I fry the chopped ingredients together till slightly browned, then add the Tom Yam paste and fry lightly till fragrant.



Then spread the mixture on both sides of the fish and add slices of tomato on top.


After that, I wrapped the lot in foil and baked it in the oven. Baking takes up to three times a long as steaming, so allow for this.

Here is the result ... not the best looking, I know, together with the broken bits because I was checking to ensure it was fully cooked! It could have done with a sprinkling of spring onions and coriander here for aesthetic reasons, but, it tasted wonderful, regardless!





7 comments:

Tummythoz said...

It's good with stringray too.

Hazza said...

tummythoz
I had pari pari once last year. Absolutely scrumptious!

J2Kfm said...

i really dig those portuguese style baked fish in foils, with added petai!!!! sotong, kacang botol etc ...

somehow the lingering gravy taste in the mouth is addictive. burp them out, baby!!! ;)

Unknown said...

That looks great! I like the tom yum flavor, and baking fish is an easy cooking method for me. You inspired me to do something different with fish now. Thanks for bringing another great dish to your blog!

Hazza said...

j2kfm,
Didnt know this was portugese style, but yes, petai would have been a nice addition, if only I could get those here.

lannae,
sometimes simplicity is what brings out the best taste from a ish.

slau said...

When I bake/grill in foil, when the 'bag' is all puffed up, the seafood within is usually cooked. Of course you should score the thicker parts of the meat.

Hazza said...

sh,
Thanks for the tip. I will try next time.